Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sweet Childish Days


"Sweet childish days, that were as long

as twenty days are now."

William Wordsworth



I had grandiose plans for this summer.

I was going to take the girls swimming several times a week and picnic in the park once or twice.

We were going to get away several weekends and go to Aquariums and Zoos.

I was going to hostess tons of cook-outs and everyone would be laughing and chatting by the tiki light while the kids played joyfully somewhere off in the background.

I even kicked around the idea of planning some sort of "day camp" w/ friends (which by the way, I totally want to do next year!!).

Yes, this summer was going to be an incredible, event filled 11 weeks......

And now here I sit 4 nights before school starts and even though we didn't do any of the above (we did swim a few times) the girls still seemed to have had a wonderful summer! Children can take an ordinary day and turn it into something spectacular. It took me 10 weeks to realize that I don't have to entertain them ~ they love entertaining themselves.

My memory was jogged on Monday night as the yard was full of children well past dark. I was tempted to call them in several times because we needed to get the "schooltime routine" established, but I got caught up listening to their voices and laughter. It instantly took me back to my sisters & brother and I playing ghost in the graveyard and swinging statues with our neighbors Pat, Elva & Blooper Sipple (I'm not making those names up) and Natasha. We played way past dark, until eventually parents would start yelling out their windows that it was time to come in.

And lightening bugs ~ remember chasing lightening bugs?
So, in honor of my childhood days, I think next year my list for the summer will look something more like the following:

  • play hide & seek and red rover several times a week
  • eat a bologna sandwich and drink lemonade on the back step while still dirty from playing
  • run in the sprinkler
  • form a secret club with neighbors
  • go for a family car ride w/ all of the windows down, music playing and eveyone singing along
  • catch lightening bugs

3 comments:

Williams' bunch said...

Sounds like a fun summer....that's about how my summers were spent, too. Except for we also would knock on doors and run...not all the time...and I was kind of chicken...remember me trying to toilet paper? I couldn't quit laughing.... ha, ha
Swinging statues...good night...I had forgotten that game. :-)

Wendi said...

haha, swinging statues. Is that a real game, or did we make it up?

What about the 3 ft. pool, and clinging to the tether ball pole so dad wouldn't throw us in.

Traci said...

What a simply perfect post!