Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bundle of Naughties



“I’ve thought a great deal lately about my ‘bundle of naughties....'"

Amy March ~ Little Women



Ella is a menace.

If it weren't for that dimple and winsome grin she would spend 2/3 of her life in time out.

That "bundle of naughties" quote from Little Women has popped into my head so many times in situations with Ella. She has a very large "bundle of naughties" and my fear and expectations are that it is only going to get bigger.

Today she cut off a HUGE chunk of her hair. This is the 2nd time.

I could kick myself for not realizing she was up to something when she walked past me w/ a big "I love you" smile, hands discreetly behind her back in a shy, innocent sort of way. HAH!

She had enough thought/guilt process to come downstairs, sneak scissors past me, go back up and get the trash can out of their bathroom, chop off her hair and throw it away and then replace the scissors.

"Why did you do that, Ella?"

"Because it was in my eyes."

This reminded me of the time I asked her why she colored all over the chair and she said, "because I couldn't find any paper." (Oh, well in that case....)

Or when she had an accident in her bed and told Heath that it must have rained in her room.

Or when she swore to me, mouth brown w/ chocolate and silver foil wrappers strewn about the floor behind her, that she didn't get into the candy jar.

Or when she swallowed a penny at Vacation Bible School and at least that time she admitted she didn't quite know why she did it. (it meant more to Heath than me to look for the "outcome" of that one)

She marks up our leather sofa w/ crayon; she frequently empties her pj draw and dresses her stuffed animals w/ them; and she has been known to rub yogurt and applesauce on her head for no good reason.

And yet she is still so easy to love.

She needs to thank the Lord for that sweet dimple.

2 comments:

Williams' bunch said...

That's so funny. I know it isn't funny at the time when they are doing all of their evil deeds, but it sure does make for some good laughs later on! :-) That reminds me of the day Sarah and Spencer got into vaseline. I walk into the room, there they sit IN the toybox....vaseline smeared on the wall and several toys....big globs on their fingers. I was so mad....and it had to be vaseline...not something that could EASILY wipe off! :-)So for future reference, if you have any vaseline in your house-GET RID OF IT! We've also had a haircutting incident...luckily it was Spencer...he just got a buzz.

Kristin said...

What a great post Dez. She is something else and I can't wait to see her as she grows up.