Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Peanut Butter Sandwich



I have been known to cry over things that later don't seem to be nearly as sad as I thought at the moment. For instance, the time I cried in Vogel's donut shop because I didn't have enough money to pay for the donut I wanted (please note that I was pregnant....and it was also made worse when 3 different people offered to pay for it). EMBARRASSING!!

So picture with me this: it's a couple of weeks before Marley gets out of school for the summer. She and I sit down and figure out which days she would like to buy her lunch at school and which days she would like to pack. I then send $ to school with Marley for her lunch account based on the balance sheet they had sent home. Things go smoothly until the final day she is to buy lunch. She stands in line for her plate of spaghetti and mandarin oranges....chooses a milk....and then proceeds to the checkout. (This is where I tear up) She is then told she doesn't have any money in her account and her tray has to be taken from her while someone goes in the back to make her a peanut butter sandwich.

The school has a policy (totally fair) that if a student's lunch account falls in the negative of more than $5 they will be served only a p.b. sandwich. However, during the last 2 weeks of school the accounts can't be negative at all (again, I say, totally fair). But where I messed up was the fact that I got my account balance sheet one day later than I thought and so she was short one days worth of lunch money.

As I started to write this I was thinking, Desirae, this is not as sad as you thought, but I am seriously sitting her crying again.

Marley was so confused. She has her tray..... it has to be taken away....I can just picture the look on her face and it makes me cry. I want to add again that I totally understand that the school needs to do this and I was not upset with them at all. In fact they had even called me to let me know what had happened and they felt horrible. We love Upland Elementary! So I started this entry stating that I have been known to cry over something and later realize that it wasn't all that sad.

I was going to wrap up by saying this was one of those times.....but I guess I can't do that just yet because I'm still crying over a p.b. sandwich!



No comments: