Thursday, January 8, 2009

Who asked you, Mark Twain?


Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

~Mark Twain


I've never really cared much for Mark Twain.

If you know me even a little you know that I hate birthdays. Not other people's ~ just mine. And not the gifts and cake; they're great, just the whole getting older thing. So I guess I should say I don't like aging. It's really annoying. And please, I implore you, don't ever tell me, "Well, it's better than the alternative."

While yes, I do agree it is better than the alternative, I would just prefer a little pity over well intended cliches.

The reason this is on my mind when my birthday isn't for another 7 months is because of the 1" long crease (not wrinkle) that has shown up right between my eyes. I seriously think it's because of squinting as I've had alot of headaches. The only time it goes away is when I raise my eyebrows. So, if I appear surprised to see you, don't think too much of it!!

The way I see it is that I have 3 options:

1. Botox
2. Leave it and grow old gracefully (not likely)
3. Let my eyebrows grow together to cover it (for me, this would take only about a week or 2)

I don't know....this whole thought of aging is very interesting to me, though. We were with a large group of friends and the discussion came up about how as we age, we progress in our comfort level of talking about things like bowel movements. (I think it was Kristin who made this observation)

It's true. As a teenager you would have been mortified if someone even suspected that you had bowel movements. But then we have kids of our own and we become quite comfortable sharing diaper stories. And now, at this point in life, apparently desensitized to poop, I can comfortably exit a bathroom and announce "Whoa! You do not want to go in there!" (not always, just after certain meals).

This theory is very similar to my ice-cream theory that I may have shared with you.

As a kid I always loved chocolate ice-cream. Maybe even w/ chocolate syrup on top. Fast forward to now ~ I prefer peanut butter or vanilla w/ caramel sauce. What's next, BUTTER PECAN?

Just give me some root beer barrel hard candies and orange marmalade while you're at it.

I'm not quite sure why this is so heavy on my mind tonight. Maybe it's because I've not put on make-up or left the house in a couple of days because I've been organizing and cleaning.

And maybe a bowl of ice-cream will make me feel better....I'm not telling you what kind, though!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm laughing so hard and empathizing with you all the way. I'm with you sister (and I'll try to remember to never give the 'it's better than the alternative' sidebar). I think I have that same wrinkle between my eyes, so we can just look surprised at each other!

Williams' bunch said...

You're so funny....and I know what you mean about Grace...I've had the same thought many times-good Ole aunt Bethany! :-)

I don't see you growing a unibrow to cover your wrinkle....and it is amusing to me that YOU of all people would be comfortable with bowel movements and discussing them. Having kids sure does change us.... HA HA

Traci said...

You're hilarious. Have I told you that I love your posts? Yeah, I think I've told you that a few times.

I love your posts.

Carrie said...

You are the best!!! I miss you and hope your headache is gone, I heard you had one today. Thanks for the laugh.