Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dear Marley...



Today we celebrated Marley's 6th birthday as well as Heath's 6th Father's Day!! We squeezed in taking Heath out for lunch (in which I had to ask him if he had his wallet when it came time to pay.) I asked the girls what they love about Daddy and they each listed off a number of things ~ topping both of their lists was the fact that he gives them back rubs at night. I don't think Heath minded so much that Father's Day was overshadowed by Marley's birthday because she is the reason, after all, that he can celebrate! Thank you Heath for being such a great dad!



Marley's birthday began with a special trip to Toys R Us with Heath's parents on Friday. They took her out for lunch and to choose her birthday gift. This was a special time for her and I love that they had this idea! Marley really appreciates one on one time. I had prepared myself for anything she might have brought home ~ no matter how big or how useless. This was; after all, her day and I wanted her to feel like a big girl making such a fun decision. I greeted her at the door when she got home and she was standing there w/ a bag of clothes!! How funny!! For a minute I thought she was 15. She had 1st picked a stuffed animal and when they told her that she could still chose something else she was shocked and said "Really?" She got a new outfit, pink canvas shoes to match, fun light up sneakers and a pair of soft pink slippers.


Birthday Morning!!



Marley opened her gifts from my parents before her friends arrived for the sleepover. Another new outfit (really cute!), computer games and a Webkins! She was most excited about the card that my mom sent that played "The Bear Necessities" song when opened. Eventually, we had to make the card disappear for a while.


After Kailey and Tristin arrived, we loaded up and headed to Build A Bear! It was so much fun and the girls had a blast! Marley, Ella, Kailey and Tristin all got matching doggies! Pup, Hardey, Fluffy and Valentine were promptly stuffed and groomed and then the picking of outfits began (note to self: we are out of ibuprofen).




It was funny to watch each of the three girls and see that they all had unique shopping styles. Tristin quickly made her decision on an outfit and didn't waffle once. She carried it around, patiently waiting for the others and her eyes never swayed.


Marley contemplates. She walks around and looks....and then walks around again....Poker faced until she decides.


Kailey is hilarious (she and Ella are alike in this area). She picks up an outfit and it is thee one....until she sees another one that is!


We finally made decisions, printed out birth certificates and headed to the cash register. I like this picture of Heath just handing over the debit card! Thank you!


After our fun excursion we headed to a swimming/dinner party at Dave and Shirley's house. This was planned after we scheduled Marley's sleepover but I thought it would be fun to take the girls! I informed all the adults there that Marley was under the impression that it was all done in her honor so they kept that on the down low! We even lit up the cake and sang "Happy Birthday!"


We got about on hour of swimming in before the sirens went off for a thunderstorm warning and we headed inside!


The day concluded with getting into p.j.'s and a sleeping bag and watching a movie that Marley had selected for the occasion: 12 Dancing Princesses!



It's almost midnight as I type this and I realize that I have only several minutes left of Marley's birthday. Tomorrow she will wake up and I will have to remind myself for a few days that she is now 6, but eventually it will just be the way it is. Six. Gone are the days of "pulling the wool" over her eyes like when I had my dad call and pretend to be the Grumpy Old Troll from Dora and tell her he was going to be their babysitter for the evening (her eyes got huge and her mouth fell open and she asked me in an astonished voice, "How did you do that?") And gone are the days of spelling out words we don't want her to hear. I know there will be a whole list of new things to look forward to but tonight I think I just want to be a little sad that my baby is six.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Dez-what a great birthday party. She'll always remember and treasure this (hey, and if for some reason she forgets you'll have this great blog to remind her :). It looks like a blast. Happy Birthday Marley.

Williams' bunch said...

I know what you mean about not being able to spell things out! :-)

She is so pretty...it looks like she had a great birthday!

Carrie said...

What fun Dez,you captured the day and party wonderfully. I feel like I was there. Great Blog.

Williams' bunch said...

The campers leave on Friday morning now. Yes, I was talking about Melinda V in the blog. :-)

Traci said...

I love to read your posts. You articulate so well! What a fun day!

shoptwinkie said...

Babies are always the apple of the eye of their parents. They are their source of joy and laughter inside the house. With the little skills and talents they have, their parents will definitely boast them to the entire family and with a couple of friends. Red has been the color of love but with Twinkie, red is the new color of cute little girls. These sophisticated Valentine Baby Canvas Shoes can be yours at an affordable price of $16.98. Because of the quality of the materials that make up these shoes, durability of the product is guaranteed.